Thursday, October 11, 2007

Another rant

Do people really know what it takes to be a writer? I seriously doubt it.
I am constantly shocked at the lack of knowledge writers have about this profession. Sure, some people make some basic "beginner" mistakes, but I'm talking about those people out there that seem to have no clue.

People need to understand that writing takes time. Sure there are the rare exceptions of that instant success but for the most part it takes time.

People need to also understand that the odds are SOOOOOO against them.

When I was at this last conference, I was talking to the other agent there. We were both saying the same thing. The writers sitting in many conferences have no grasp of reality and just will not get the fact that they will NEVER get published.

It isn't a matter of just waiting and "doing your time." You have to be able to write and frankly, many people CAN'T!!!!

Do I want people to stop writing. Nope! I want them to get a reality check and realize that their writing will be for their personal enjoyment only (and potentially for those people around them). Their involvement in these organizations, or taking courses, is there for personal enrichment only.

O.K. maybe I'm saying this because it's a normally grungy day here in the Northwest and I'm operating off a lack of sleep, but I think it is also because I'm tired of seeing submissions with really NO HOPE!!! I just don't want to see people hurt.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! But I'm glad to see this thought getting a little light on it instead of being kept in a dark corner. I've heard this only one time before in all the workshops and conventions I've attended, but I think 'know your market' is something that people should pay more attention to.

    The hard part, from the author's side of the fence, is knowing if you're clueless. Is it like being crazy? If you think you might be crazy, does that mean you're sane?

    It seems like The Sisterhood doesn't allow for discouragement, but where does that part ways from honesty? How much damage does it do a person's soul to trudge on year after year, writing and rewriting book after book, only to keep collecting the rejects? Is it success or failure to realize that mass market is the wrong audience for a book that was written for an audience of one?

    My local small town group is comprised of what many turned-up noses would consider hobbyists, but they love the craft and are happy with the successes they have - published in the local papers and magazines, even self-published and popular in their old hometowns. It's nice to see that success and pride instead of the continual pain and rejection in the pro markets that's about as much fun as continually hitting oneself in the forehead with a brick.

    Sue L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look, writing is for the insane, but also for the passionate. We just have to keep our feet in reality a bit. We have to remember that this is a subjective business and to just work with that.

    I've been trying to tell a lot of people to quit writing once the business side of things is becoming too intrusive.

    Of course, do people listen?


    NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete