Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Why not be like the rest

So, I just got back from the K.O.D. Retreat in Omaha, NB and it got me thinking. We started off a discussion about getting to know all of the people in the room. This was a time to really get to know who these people were and not just about their accomplishments as writers, or professionals in the writing profession.

I also got to thinking that I am spending so much damn time working that I needed to get my brain going again creatively on my own life. This is not to say that I am giving up on the professional side. I just needed a chance to vent and babble (as the title suggests).

In any case, it is now 6:22 am and I was listening to NPR on the way to classes. There was this talk about Free Trade issues and how people in the US really hate free trade. The reporters were spending all of this time, discussing the issue from a political standpoint.

But here is what got me thinking.

Does anyone in the US really get the idea of Free Trade? I doubt it. And then it really got me thinking, especially with the rise of blogs and postings here on the web.

People are spending all of this time claiming to be "someone in the know." Frankly, I doubt it. Just because you know the vocabulary does not mean you get it.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment