Sunday, December 9, 2007

What is in the water?

I'm not sure how many of you have noticed this lately, I know I have...

People have become quitters.

Yep, I have seen more and more people lately that will just give up and quit when things get difficult. They get a couple of rejections from a publisher, they throw the manuscript out and start a new one (including changing genres). I see students in my classes that just give up on research papers when they can't get what they want right there and then.

Frankly, this is just irritating as all get out. Look people. THINK!!!! This giving up garbage is going to get you no where.

I have a friend that literally changes jobs every year to two years. Why? The challenge just wasn't there. They hate the job...so the word quit comes up.

I know there are times in my job(s) that get frustrating, but this is far from a good enough reason just to quit and move to something new. I find a way to work through it, to find a solution and then try it out.

What does all of this quitting say to a future employer? What does this say to the agent or editor you are pitching to? You are not in it for the long haul and in all likelyhood, you have no critical thinking or problem solving skills to fix problems.

So, if you are one of those people, I would strongly suggest not coming my direction (at least right now until I have another cup of coffee).

Off to change a load of laundry now.

No comments:

Post a Comment