Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Are people thinking?

Like many of you, I've been watching the elections play out. As I watch though, I start to get scared.

Not that I am scared about the candidates that are out there (O.K. a couple are a bit shaky in my eye). What scares me is the huge population of idiots out there that are going to go to the polls and vote with no real brain cell activity.

I'm talking about people who vote on looks. People who vote because their husband or wife is voting that way. I'm talking about people who don't think.

I also bring this up because I've been busy working on an upcoming article on critical thinking in writing. Even writers don't seem to be thinking. They seem to think that sitting down at the computer and just going through the motions is good enough to make the sale. Far from it.

If people would really take a look, they'd find that those that are successful in writing are not simply throwing darts at the board. They are using their brains when they write. They know what they are doing and why they are doing it. They also know what is right and wrong about their writing.

So, let's make 2008 the year of the Thinker. I challenge you all to become critical thinkers. Not someone who just makes split second decisions and "hope for a good result."

No comments:

Post a Comment