Tuesday, July 29, 2008

One final thought

For those of you heading out to San Francisco, or for those of you already there, I want to give you a couple of final things to think about.

This may be the most important conference of your writing career. At least, this is the approach you should take when you arrive. Keep your eyes and ears open. Talk to people. Listen and learn.

Although there is a big temptation to just party and have fun, you never know what is around the next corner, or who you sit next to. Make the most of it.

Every year that I go, I plan on walking away with something new. It may simply be a new connection, it may be a new writer that I find along the way. It may simply be something new I learn about a publisher. It doesn't matter to me. I walk away with something.

Now, for those of you that couldn't make it this year. You aren't out of it. When your writing partners return, talk to them. They can become your eyes and ears for you.

I've got to go and finish packing now. I'll be off early tomorrow, but I am really looking forward to this conference.

I'll let you know what I gained along the way.

Ciao,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment