Friday, September 5, 2008

Updates from Scott

So, it's been a busy week here at Greyhaus. I am madly working though submissions so if you have one with me, I will have a response out by the end of the weekend (assuming all goes well which it should).

Again, the common theme I am seeing right now in terms of stories is a serious lack of depth. Writers are giving me a lot of information, but I want you to really start to look at what is relevant to the story and what isn't. I could really care less about the day by day account of what your character did. I could care less that this is a herbal tea or regular. Get the idea.

The other homework I want you to do this next week (and this is a full week activity) is to take a look at other writers. Study what they do in that first chapter. Look at the paragraphs. Look at what they are writing about (and what they are leaving out). Don't send submissions out before you do this.

Last thing. For those of you interested in the MARKETING YOUR FICTION NOVEL CLASS. We begin on the 19th of Sept. There is still time to get into the class. Email me and I will give you all of the contact information. I don't want you to miss out.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment