Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Conflict over conflict | Murder She Writes

S.J. Day's comments on Conflict. She really hit it right on the nose. Great comments!!! Great author!!!!


Conflict over conflict Murder She Writes: "1
Jun
09

This past week a friend of mine lamented her recent purchase of two romance novels. Her problem with both of them was the lack of conflict. It seems both stories had an external problem to work out, but internally… nada. The couple was clearly on the road to HEA, regardless. Their only problem was the external plot needed to be resolved, but as a couple, they were good to go. She asked me if this type of story was the norm now. After all, she’d picked up two books and they both had the same sort of setup.
As a reader, I understood what she was saying. I’d also noticed that some of the romances I’ve picked up over the last year or so lacked a “black moment.” I find that so odd. If there’s no question that the couple is going to end up together, where is the story? If the focus is entirely external plot, is that even a romance anymore? (internal conflict and black moments don’t apply exclusively to romance, but I’m talking about romantic fiction here). I’ve always thought external conflicts were important because they bring internal conflicts to a head. Sink or swim. Do or die.
My friend’s question tied into an issue I’d had with a book I’ve been trying to write unsuccessfully for months. Over the last few years, my stories have gotten progressively “darker.” There’s nothing wrong with that, but I wanted to switch things up when I started the new book. Both for my sake and for readers. While I believe that an author needs to consistently provide a signature experience for their readers, I also believe that familiarity breeds contempt. I think it’s important to surprise yourself and the reader with something new within the framework of"

No comments:

Post a Comment