Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cyber-stalking does not get you agents and editors

Web presence is something we hear more and more of these days. Writers need to get out there and develop a website and start getting connected to people. Along with this, we see more and more technology out there to make that connection even stronger. Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn and the like are great tools for staying connected with what is going on.

For myself, I stay connected on Twitter and LinkedIn, not to simply "build my list of friends" but to stay up-to-date with things happening in the business world, for both education and publishing. I also use things like Twitter to connect others who are interested to the things happening at Greyhaus.

But here is the thing. Following these people, becoming their friends and so forth will not get you signed to a contract, either with an agent or editor. Look, pitching to me on Twitter will get you nothing other than a referal to the website where you have to submit the standard way like everyone else. And guess what, in the end, you will be evaluated like everyone else. You don't get any extra bonus points because you are A FRIEND on another site. In fact, if you have been someone that frequently "stalks" that editor or agent, they will remember you, but not in a good way. The first thing we will think of (because it is human nature) is "ooooh, this is THAT person on..." Not a great first impression.

Hey, I know I tell you to stay connected. As Gordon Gekko in Wall Street says, "Information is power." Follow those blogs. I applaud those agents and editors out there that do their best to keep writers "in the know" with things happening in the publishing world. I am talking about those that teach on their blogs, that give helpful hints, that provide feeback. Way to go!

Oh, and if you don't get a reply for me to "be your friend" it is because I keep that loop set aside for colleagues.

Scott

1 comment:

  1. I've always hoped that this would be intuitive for writers -- it's the writing that matters, right? :)

    Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete