Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It's A Matter Of Timing

Publishing is one of those businesses where everything is a matter of timing. Be at the right place at the right time and you have a chance of moving up that publishing ladder. Arrive late, send that query one day later than you planned, and you may have missed your chance. It is a sad reality but one that is very true and really is no different than the other job markets out there.

When I have mentioned this in the past, I have had writers scream, but if the book is good then it should be picked up instantly. Sure, we could do things that way, but it just isn't true. Again, think about the real world (not that writing isn't a real job). If I am really good at what I do, then why can't I just walk into a business and say, hire me? Because there might not be an opening. Because maybe the company is downsizing or the program is not necessary. Because they just hired someone the week before. All of these are valid reasons but very realistic.

With publishing the same thing applies. I have signed authors just to have someone with a really good story pitch something similar the week later. While the book may be great, that "slot" (how I hate to use that word) is full. At Greyhaus for example, I just don't want my writers in competition with each other. For that reason, the slot for a romantic suspense may be full.

Does this mean you should give up writing. No way. You keep plugging along and the time may come. There are no promises here but the time may come. It is also the reason why you need to keep your head in the game and always in search of information to "stay in the loop."

Now, get out there and write.

Scott

1 comment:

  1. Sad but true. On the flip side of this are the writers who send things out too early so that they won't "miss" their chance. In the end they are just hindering themselves.

    ReplyDelete