Last night, I dealt with over 50 e-queries with the following results (roughly)
- 34 rejections recorded
- 10+ rejections not worthy of being recorded (these were people submitting projects not in my romance or women's fiction
- 21 requests for additional material
Out of those the trends were:
- A huge number of YA's that all claimed to be the next Harry Potter. One even went so far as saying the project was better than Rowling
- Many lacking a high concept. it was like reading reading the synopsis of books already out.
- Over 10 of the submissions were rejected because I simply couldn't figure out what they were writing.
- Roughly 5 were under word count (as low as 30K)
- Several of the rejections were due to the writers really not knowing what their stories were
Of those I requested more from, I would say half had a premise that might work but based on the material sent I couldn't make a full decision.
On to the next pile.