Friday, July 16, 2010

Make Your Decisions In Advance - Dr. Keith Bell

I'm going back to Dr. Keith Bell, the sports psychologist for this one today. He argues that successful athletes, and I would contend all people, need to make their decisions in advance. This prevents having to make split second decisions. I bring this up because honestly, I think this is one of the biggest downfalls of many new authors out there. Think about it.

You have spent all of your time working on your stories. You work with critique groups and you go to conferences. You are ready to make the jump. And then you get the call...

All of a sudden, you are staring at contract information, learning how to market your books and all of that other stuff. Many of these issues could have been things you thought through prior to anything happening. In many ways, it is like playing chess - "If my opponent moves here, I could go here, here or here, setting up this or that..."

Does this mean you will be prepared for everything. Heck no. There will always be things thrown at you that you didn't see coming. But, there are also a lot of things you can plan for. Just think ahead and you will find the transition from unpublished to published author a bit easier.

I'm off to get some work done now. Have a great weekend.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment