Friday, March 11, 2011

Back-up,, print copies, save in multiple places

thought I would give you all a quick reminder to save your writing. We all remember Murphy's Law: "If it can go wrong, it will." Writers need to really remember this.

You have a lot of hard work that you put into that manuscript. You simply don't want to run the risk of losing it all. I know I can speak from experience on this one. I had a project I was working on and accidentally turned off the computer before saving. There went 1 chapter that, I have to say, was some really good writing. I was then faced with having to duplicate that writing. It didn't happen.

So save this writing. Use memory sticks, online servers and yes, certainly print documents.

I am sure most of you already do this, but if not, today would be a good day to start.

See you all on Monday.

Scott

2 comments:

  1. I write on a desk top PC because it's more comfortable and trustworthy. I've been editing a few times and had a power outage. The PC didn't save the changes. I don't normally lose my temper, but boy was I fuming. However, I learn from my mistakes. Now, I save everthing per chapter, save to two flash cards,(one is in a fireproof box...paranoid me), save to a disk, save to laptop PC, and print out the finished product. Hey, if you're going to do something, do it all the way.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh heh... lose several pages for an essay enough times, and you gain the habit I have of unconsciously pressing Ctrl+S after every paragraph.
    I feel that Google Documents is a good idea to put files into from time to time as well--just in case both your computer and your flash drive explode.

    ReplyDelete