Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Question from a Writer - Revising and Resubmitting

I'm done querying for my book and have received a lot of requests. I have fulls out from Jan. to March. Since I began this process, my ms has taken an overhaul due to the constructive crit I received from agents. My problem is this. Do I approach the agents who have my old ms from 2-3 months ago and haven't got back to me yet? Or do I wait until they send me an R to resubmit. I know some agents like yourself are very approachable, but there are some that scares me....

This is a good question. I would have to say that you should simply sit back and wait. I personally believe that contacting these people telling them that you have a revised version now sends the message that you are still seeing this proejct as a work in progress.

With that said, if the over-haul is that significant, the better approach to take would be to email the agents the project is still out with and pull the submission. You don't have to go into a lot of detail but say that you feel the project is not right at this time. Then, give it some time (easily a month) and then send out the project as a "new" submission.

Of course, some agents might not care that much about it. I am simply looking at this as the impression you are sending the agent. Were you ready in the first place?

Best of luck.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment