Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Question from a Writer

After reading your FAQs I have a few more. What is your average response time to a query? Do you give personal responses or form letters? Will you reply for both acceptances and rejections? Do you accept queries or submissions from unpublished authors?

I thought I would keep things short and simple today and answer this for the author.

1) Average time for getting back is about 2-4 weeks. I honestly hate when submissions stack up in my email so I do really get to things quickly. When I start getting to that 1 month point, I personally start to freak out a bit.

2) If the submisson is an initial response and I want more material, I do have a form answer. More often than not, I have standard answers I give, but I do write a brief letter for each submission. I do not agree with the premise some agents (and editors) have that say, no answer means a no. Personally, I think this is unprofessional.

3) I take submissions from anyone that has a passion for writing romance and women's fiction. Authors can be both published and unpublished. In fact, with the exception of 3 of my current authors, all were unpublished.

Hope that helps!

Scott

1 comment:

  1. >>>I do not agree with the premise some agents (and editors) have that say, no answer means a no. Personally, I think this is unprofessional.

    *nods*

    I delete unresponsive agents and editors from my possibles on Query Tracker and I don't query agents who have a record of the 'no response means no' reject. Even more unbelievable is the NRMN reject for partials and fulls as well as the agents who take six, eight, even twelve months to respond on a partial or full request. Manners are so important in any business.

    ReplyDelete