Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Agent-Author Relationship Is A Team Affair

This might seem like an obvious statement, but having an agent really means that you are adding a member to your writing team. This "team" does more than simply negotiate contracts, but really works with you through the entire writing process. But, when I mention "team" here, I am really talking about how every member of the team brings something to the table.

I think there is a huge misconception that once you have an agent, all you have to do as a writer is to create your stories. As someone who really does promote that team attitude here at Greyhaus, I have to say, I really count on my authors for bringing a lot more to the table.

I bring this up because just recently, I am glad my authors were part of the team. We were discussing contracts and working through issues on one "in the works." Between myself and the editor, it really looked as if we had gotten all of the pieces. Even talking with the author, it really looked like we had it all. But, we missed something. Fortunately, it was this team approach that added another pair of eyes to the process to discover that missing piece. No, this wasn't a huge issue, but it was nice to know the author was part of the equation.

Along the same lines, it was nice to know the author felt as if she was a part of the team. She brought the issue forward without a fear of being pushy. This confidence comes from that team approach.

As you look for an agent, I cannot stress enough the need to know what you bring to the table, as well as what you want from an agent. Aligning those elements will certainly make that relationship, if and when it comes, work so much smoother.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment