Monday, December 19, 2011

Question from a Writer - Submissions with a contract offer

If you receive a submission and the author already has a publisher such as Harlequin interested, would you automatically offer representation? Or do you need to really love that person's writing and the project as a whole to take them on?

This is really on a case by case basis, but I have to say that, for the most part, I have to really love the writing before I sign an author. Yes, this is an easy sale, but you have to remember that agents want to be in this for the long haul.

With that said, I do look at a project like this a bit longer that others. In some cases, that story might not have it for me, but the later projects really are great and that might sway my decision. Otherwise, the simple answer is a contract does not mean an automatic representation.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment