Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Don't Give Up Your Day Job...Yet!

Yes, I understand some of this is repetitive, but once again, I do have to remind new authors that this business takes time. Writers will not, in many cases, become overnight success stories. For this reason, I cannot say this enough...DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR DAY JOB!!!

Would it be great if we could spend our entire day focusing on our craft? I know I get jealous when I see news stories, or read articles about these authors who wake up in the morning, have an enjoyable breakfast reading the newspaper and then settle into their writing. Every now and then, the get up, wander around the house, take the dog for a walk or socialize with a friend. Now that sounds great. But in reality, this is not the norm.

The reality is that you will not be making an amazing amount of money when you start out. This means, if you wish to have this lifestyle, you can either be married to a spouse bringing in a ton of money, inherit the money, retire and then have the money (whatever that might be) come in, or live as a true starving artist.

More likely, you will have to continue juggling your writing career with your other job that brings in the real money.

There have been a lot of times that I hear authors tell me they plan on selling that first book and finally being able to write full time. These people, I am sorry to say, and IMHO, are delusional.

I don't want you to give up your dream of doing this with your writing, but please, remember your writing WILL take time to see that profit.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment