Thursday, March 29, 2012

What Do You Mean By "Old School Contemporary"?

I have used this term a lot lately when talking about contemporary romances. I am a firm believer that this is really the area we are going to see a lot of growth in the romance industry. I personally believe it will be the contemporary romance. No, it won't be the drama and baggage ridden stories. No, it won't be those sappy romances that seem too good to be true. I have described the new contemporary romance as being "old school" in nature.

So, what do I mean? I think for many people today, these stories are what some want to call "women's fiction" but you know me, I have a clear definition of women's fiction and these stories wouldn't fall into that caterogy. What I see a move to are stories that are much more real, more human and remeniscent of those that we saw early on with authors such as Danielle Steele. These are big stories but really do watch the growth of everyday people in everyday situations having an amazing, and yet, everyday romance.

Do these stories have drama? Sure. But the emphasis is really watching that romance bloom and grow without the excessive reliance on the secret baby, the huge back story of something happening to the hero and so forth.

Is this something new? Maybe not entirely. These stories will have a true modern day feel to them. Times are tough right now and these stories will be a way to remember a time when things really were good, or simply remind us, that what we have right now is pretty dang good.

Scott

1 comment: