Thursday, March 1, 2012

Writers Must Continually Research Their Genres and Crafts

I do believe that many writers fall into a similar trap. In fact, I do believe that many people, in ANY profession end up doing the same thing. Once they have done this job for a period of time, finding time or effort to learn more about their craft ceases to exist. I personally believe this is why many authors, eventually fade from existence. They simply haven't found a way to grow and change with the market.

As a writer, it is your responsibility to continually take classes, read books, dissect other novels and grow with your craft. Things change and if you fail to move with those changes, kiss your career goodbye.

In all honesty, I always get upset and frustrated when I hear authors make statements about conferences that imply they are somehow, ABOVE the other authors. "You know, I go to Nationals but I simply don't see a need to attend any of the workshops." Really????? Are you that amazing an author that you can't learn a new trick?

I will admit (just as a small side note) that I would love to see sessions that work with craft for those people who have been in this business for a while, but that is for another post. I still believe though, we can learn something even from those beginning sessions.

If you want to be a professional in ANYTHING, you have to keep growing and learning. Stagnation will get you no where!

Scott

1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely right. Even a seasoned writer may pick up something new from a session meant for beginners. Or might be reminded of something forgotten.

    But I love your idea of workshops designed for more experienced writers. I'd attend!

    ReplyDelete