Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cameron Diaz and Greyhaus Literary Agency Unite

I am really excited to talk about this today. This all came from some fun and exciting emails and calls yesterday as I was hanging out with my dog.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Let me first say that Ms. Diaz and I are not working together on any project; however, if she is interested in working on this project, please make sure to contact me.

Now, let me explain.

Let me also note that I am not going to state names here because these are honest mistakes, but things that I do believe we can all learn from.

As I was working yesterday, I received an email from a senior ranking editor from a major publisher. This person was extremely excited to see that I was working with Ms. Diaz on a book project and wanted to talk to me about it.

You have to understand, this threw me for a loop. I had no idea what this person was talking about. In any case, I did email the editor and stated that there was obviously a mistake or a miscommunication.

But wait, it gets better.

I get home from taking my kids to swimming and I have a message on my answering maching. Apparently a major talk show is also interested in this new partnership I have with Ms. Diaz. In this case, the person mentioned how they found the information from the internet.

I will obviously be talking to this person later today to discuss the issue as well.

So, what is the point of all this? Simple.

In each of these cases, the mistakes stemmed (from what I can tell) from an issue of misreading material on the internet and drawing conclusions without really taking the time to read the information fully. I was able to duplicate how they might have gotten the information and in reality, this is the only answer. This is what we call a "reading miscue." It is simply an issue of the brain doing one thing and we do something else.

I recommend for all writers to be very aware of what is going on out there on the internet and in the business. We need to do this to make sure we are all on the same track. Yes, I understand there is a ton of material out there on the internet so that means we have to be even more careful of what we read. This also means that we cannot start jumping to conclusions or doing things that might bite us in the butt later on.

As for me, I do have to say, yesterday was a great day.

And Ms. Diaz, if you are interested in working on some additional writing, please let me know. I will certainly be there for you!

Scott

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! What a day. And a great reminder to be careful and take the time to properly read information listed on the internet before taking action. :)

    ReplyDelete