Thursday, January 3, 2013

Starting Up Again Hurts

I was at swim practice with my kids last night and it gave me all of the inspiration for the post today. Most of these kids had not done any swimming for a week or so. Let me put it this way...practice HURT.

The point of this post today is simple. If you take a break from your writing, you will find that getting back to it takes much more work than you expected. I have been warning all of you during the break to keep writing. Do something with your craft on a daily basis. This will keep you fresh.

Now, I do understand you need to take breaks from actual writing, but this should not keep you from thinking about your work. Do a little plotting every now and then.

For those of you who took a break from writing over the holidays, my bet is you might struggle a bit. It will hurt, but you can get out of this. For those of you who kept writing. My congrats to you. You won't hurt like my kids did at practice last night.

1 comment:

  1. It's easy to fall into bad habits: spending time on the Kindle Boards, reading the 'books' section on Huffington Post, reading writers' blogs. Must be something to do with that law about inertia (was it Einstein?) An object in motion tends to keep going. (or something like that). The inverse applies also, I think. An object (or writer) at a stop tends to stay stopped.

    ReplyDelete