First of all, the agents and editors out there are pretty clear about what they want in terms of projects and submissions. This information is very public knowledge and can be found both in print and on the Internet. For myself here at Greyhaus, I have really made every effort I can to help out by stating in all of the public forums out there that you should review the information on my website to make sure you know what I want, what I don't want and what to submit. I am not unique in this. It is all out there.
Now, let's talk about this submission. And yes, this deserves a BLOG FLOG!
1) The author has submitted a trilogy of "young adult, fantasy adventures"
This is directly from my website:
I am not sure how much clearer I can be. NO FANTASY AND NO YA, so this person has a double strike already.
- Copy costs for 50 pages of back to back material, comb binding, clear front cover and plastic cover in back: $17.79 (according to a rough estimate from FEDEX/KINKOS).
- Two "Ready Post" envelopes: $4.77 each
- Postage for the return SASE $3.60
- Postage for the main shipping envelope: $4.77
- Do your research.
- Know what the editors and agents want.
- Send them just what they want.
- Don't query people that don't fit your project.