Before you even think about hitting send, it is important for you to simply sit down and think. Do you have your full game plan in place before you make this move to professional writing? The odds are, you haven't even thought about this. I have said this before and I will say it again. Writing is a business and the things you do in one world are the exact same things we do in the other. The words may be different, but it is still the same.
In business, we talk about having a business plan in place. The same for writing. There are a ton of questions you need to have answers for and a clear idea how to achieve these before you even think about making the jump. Sure, you have a great story, but this is now a product you are marketing to consumers.
Consider just a few:
- You have one story but what about maintaining that career and keeping up with the demand of your readers?
- How are you advertising? Do you have the $$ to support web design, PR and so forth?
- Have you developed a new daily time line to include the business side with the creative side?
- Where do you see yourself, realistically, in 1, 2, 5, 10 yrs?
- What are your expectations for income and do these, realistically, match with the budget necessary to maintain your career.
I know for myself, I see far too many authors who really do have a great product to sell. These are writers with a lot of potential, and yet, jumping in too soon by not being prepared leads to far too many failures.
Don't let this happen to you!