Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Are You Paying Attention? the Answers Are Right In Front Of You!

My wife and I have a favorite joke. I am sure you have heard it before, but for those who haven't, let me tell this to you again in an abbreviated format.

A flood came through a small community and was really creating problems for everyone. Emergency personnel were out 24/7 doing everything they could to save the people, animals and community. On the outskirts of town, in one of the hardest, one man was cut off from everyone. He had finally had to climb out his window and was sitting on his roof. Eventually, a boat floated by and a man called up to him.

"Hey buddy, hop in and I'll get you out of here."

The man called back and declined. "Thank you but I know God will save me."

An hour later, after the floods got worse, a man-made raft floated by made out of debris and a man floating on it called up.

"Hey, I think my raft will hold you, hop on."

Again the man called back and declined. "Thank you but I know God will save me."

This happened again with a man floating on an inner tube.

"Hey buddy, hop down! I think we can both float on this tube and get out of here."

Again the man called back and declined. "Thank you but I know God will save me."

Eventually, there were no more boats or people to save him and he died. As he stood outside the Pearly Gates he looked up to God shaking his head. "I had faith in you. I thought you would save me."

God sighed heavily and said, "Buddy, I sent you three chances. I am not sure what part of help you were missing/"


I bring this up because there are a lot of you out there that complain that you are floundering out there in this publishing world completely lost. You say there is not help out there so you are just doing what you think might be right, and then getting frustrated that you are still seeing those rejections.

I hate to break it to you, but the help is out there! Although the number of blogging agents has declined as they moved on to other forms of social media (Twitter and smaller Facebook posts), they are still putting out information that can guide you. Even this blog is open to helping.

Writer's Digest is always running seminars that are taught by editors and agents to help.

Professional Writing organizations like the Romance Writers of America are still providing useful resources to guide writers.

So how do you get this information?

ASK!!!!

If you want to know an answer, just look around you. I think many of you will find what you need if you just open your eyes and look around you. The answer is right there.!

No comments:

Post a Comment