Friday, March 14, 2014

Use Technology To Spice Up Those Conferences and Chapter Meetings

This coming weekend, I will be at the 5th Annual Liberty Fiction Writers "Create Something Magical" Conference. Well sort of...

This group contacted me last year to attend and, due to expenses, getting me from the west coast to the east coast for the weekend really would have drained their budgets (considering we are hitting Spring Break period you can imagine the airfare rates). Still, we found a way to do it and it was a great success.

I attend their conference virtually. Using SKYPE, I have the chance to meet with authors and listen to their projects. These are standard pitch sessions, with the exception that in the pitch room, instead of seeing me at their table, they see the computer and a head set. It is awesome!

This is not the first time either. As I said, I did this last year at their conference and also had the chance to meet with the Historical Novel Society in London using the same technology.

I bring all of this up because there are so many writing groups out there that are probably frustrated that they can't bring in editors and agents. They stick with their "local authors" but then grumble when they hear other groups bringing in "the big names." Look, I am not saying that I am one of the "big names" but I am making this offer to your groups.

If you have a group that wants to make this technology work, let me know. Email me at the agency and we can talk you through the process. We can do pitch sessions. I can teach a workshop. We can do a Q & A session with your writing chapter. The nice thing is that it doesn't cost you anything - no airfare, no hotel, no arrangements of who has to pick the agent or editor up at the airport.

I am looking forward to working with your writing chapter and using technology to make it a little easier on your budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment