Tuesday, April 7, 2015

It's Just One Person's Point Of View

This is just a quick post today but I think it is an important one.

As we have said time and time again here on this blog, (I am sure I have said it in other places as well) this is an extremely subjective business. This simply means that what works for one person might not work for someone else. I might pass on one of your projects because the story didn't work for me. This does not mean someone else might fall madly in love with it.

I bring this up because I will frequently get an author who responds back to a rejection wondering if he or she could completely revise the story and resubmit. While this is a great request, I honestly believe it is time that I might not spend if I were an author - or at least at that exact moment. My rejection was just one point of view. Another agent might see things differently.

Now, if you have received the same feedback from multiple agents, then yes, you might want to start listening.

I try to remind authors of this when I do critiques or judge final rounds for contests. Don't get all worked up if it didn't work for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment