I have been seeing a lot of this lately in submissions. Authors are confusing the idea of conflict vs.
complication. I am constantly asking myself, "so why don't they fix it?' or "so why aren't they together?" Instead, the author goes on and on, making up excuse after excuse to keep the story going but there still is no real conflict.
- You are driving down the road and a road crew has a flagger stopping traffic to allow that digger to move dirt.
- You need to bake cookies and realize you need an egg or two.
- You are getting ready to set the table for Thanksgiving dinner and realize you forgot to turn on the dishwasher so you have no clean dishes.
- Heroine says she wants out of engagement.
- Jerk hero is fine with it since he has been fine with it for some time.
- Hero uses this as an "in" to the girl he likes.
- Heroine already liked the hero.
- And they lived happily ever after.
- Take the job and the relationship has to end.
- Take the job and the other person has to quit his or her job.
- Keep the relationship and turn down the work