Monday, July 9, 2018

Disappointed In Latest Contemporary Romances

Last Friday, I went searching for some new books to add to my reading list. I will be at a horse show for the next several days so I wanted some reading material. Needless to say, I ended up with nothing. If you saw my post on Twitter, I was very disappointed. I went on Amazon and started searching and after 40 pages, I found nothing appealing.

So, why is it that I found nothing?

In simple terms, the covers and the blurbs all read like videos you would find at an adult bookstore. The plot of these stories was pretty basic. Hero and heroine meet up, have sex, fight about it, have make up sex and supposedly live happily ever after.

Sorry, not a plot.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying stories cannot be hot and steamy. My issue is that all of these books I stumbled over did nothing beyond that.

To add to the frustration, I have heard editors say that they are looking for something more substantial in books, and yet, we continually see a surplus of stories with the concept of "hockey player is bonking the coaches daughter." Sorry, but last time I checked, this is not substantial.

Contemporary romances do not have to be gimmicky. These books can be hot, or they can be sweet. The key, however, is to write a story that has a real plot and purpose.


No comments:

Post a Comment