Thursday, July 26, 2018

How Good Is Your Back-Up Plan?

I was walking through the grocery parking lot yesterday and I saw this picture...


Yes, this is the driver's spare tire on the back of the car. Of course, this got me thinking about writers (doesn't everything?)

One of the things we always stress to writers is to have something on stand-by in case something doesn't work out well. Writers should have stories ready to go in a notebook or journal so when one story is finished, you are ready to go. When writers pitch a story, they should always have something in the wings so when the agent or editor says "What else do you have?" you don't look lost. Even worse, when that story you just submitted to your editor gets a thumbs down, do you have a back-up plan to either fix the story, or come up with something new.

Unfortunately, far too many authors I meet fall into one of two categories: Their either have no back-up plan, or the one they have is just like the one that failed.

Those of you without the back-up often tell me they simply cannot work on two projects at the same time. They get so focused on that story, they cannot look beyond it. I get that, and please note, I am not saying to write two stories at the same time. I am simply saying to have ideas ready to go.

The bigger problem writer is that person who has a back up plan that is just like the picture above. Their first tire completely blows out on the freeway and all they have to fall back on is one that is just as bad. Let me explain.

I have a lot of authors who I have heard from multiple times with submissions. That part is fine. But, when I reject a story because the story sounds too forced, or the characters and plot are just carbon copies of what is already out there, what do they submit? Another story that does just the same thing. These authors sent me another damaged tire.

We have all heard that comment about, if you continue doing what you have always done, you will continue to get the same results. There is nothing different here. If you are getting rejections, or all of your stories sound the same, my recommendation is to check that "spare tire". How is that back up plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment