Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Workshops Are Only Tools - Authors Need To Know How To Use Those Tools Properly

One term I have always disliked in writing is "The Writer's Toolbox." How many times do we hear workshop speakers, authors of articles, or even bloggers like myself use a statement such as "This is a great tool to add to your Writer's Toolbox. Ugh, Ick, Bleck! I detest that word, and yet, I don't know how many times I find that I do have to go back and use it, like I am going to do today.

I saw a Twitter post yesterday talking about a workshop to teach people how to sell millions of books. It was all about strategies that the presenter promised would sell more books. Unfortunately,
this is a statement that probably cannot be backed up. And why is that? The presenter is doing nothing more than introducing the attendees to new tools they may be able to use. It is really up to the attendees to know how to use those tools effectively, and even there are no promises.

If you are like me, home construction is not my best talent. To me, a hammer is a hammer and a saw is a saw. Some are just bigger than others. I know that there are Philips head screwdrivers and flathead screwdrivers. Again some are bigger than others. I am also smart enough to know that the flathead screwdrivers work with the screw with the single line in the top of it and the Philips head works with the one with the star thing on the top.

Hopefully you are seeing where I am going to with this. If you have someone in your house who is much more knowledgeable about tools, they are probably screaming that this blogger knows absolutely nothing. I will grant that.

But here is the point. Those workshops, the craft books, those articles and those blog posts did nothing more than throw those new tools into your big box of other tools you have collected over the years. The problem is that each and every one of those tools has a SPECIFIC use. You will not use that same tool/technique in every one of your books. You will use the RIGHT technique for the RIGHT purpose.

I spoke about this briefly in a prior post when I talked about Bloom's taxonomy. You have understand how to market those books. You have to understand how to write that query letter, or to craft the best dang first three chapters.

You also have to remember that the workshop presenters are talking about tools and techniques that worked for their unique situation. It doesn't work for everyone.

Let me give you one final example. My daughter, as some of you now, rides competitively in hunter and jumper equestrian programs. She has had a lot of trainers who will preach about the right technique to use to get over a jump, to move your horse forward and so forth. But what they often fail to remember (although I do know they are aware of this) is that EVERY HORSE IS DIFFERENT. My daughter has an Off The Track Thoroughbred, and anyone who has ever ridden one knows the things you do to slow an everyday horse down is completely opposite to that of a racehorse.

Translation - You have to know which tool to use for your given situation.

So, does this mean to not attend those workshops? Absolutely not. But you have to know whether or not those tools you just gained will work in your situation. Remember, one size does not fit all.

1 comment:

  1. I am not a tool guy but I could sell you the house. You would not want to buy a house that I built. Trust me on this. But if you give me time I could make you fall in love with that house. That's my strength.

    Follow your strength and use the tools that will make you stronger.

    ReplyDelete