Thursday, October 25, 2018

Why We Use Submission Guidelines

I am always amazed at the number of writers who submit projects to me and do not follow the guidelines. I am also amazed at the number of writers out there who complain that the publishing world uses these guidelines as "hoops they have to jump through." It is also these people who then claim that they went to self-publishing because "the industry just turned this into a game."

Sorry to say this, but this is not a game. This is the real world.

We are now living in a digital age. We don't just tell people what we had for dinner on Facebook, or take bunny pictures of our self on Instagram, or tell people "They are just fake stupid people not like me or my (what color is that) hair."

Because we live in a digital world, we have to find a way to manage all of this data that is coming into our computers at record speed. These submission guidelines we use are how we translate the work you are doing into something we can use on our end.

The publishing world is no different than any other company out there who uses digital submissions of job applications and resumes. When we submit job applications and they ask for file uploads, those companies want a particular format. This is not a game, but it is how it is entered into their computers. Digitally formatted resumes allow the computer on the other end to translate that data and enter it into their databases.

Here at Greyhaus, I have a form that you can use to submit projects. Each box has a space to enter data that I ASK FOR. I also limit how much information I want included. Why? Because it shows up in my email box so I can read it all in the READING PANE and not have to open other documents.

For those who email queries to me, I also ask for a specific set of items. Again, this allows me the chance to get back to you quicker.

And yet, I have people who send attachments and embed a ton of extra stuff. I also get people who just attach a query letter instead of putting the letter into the body of the email. Is this what I want? No. To read your letter now requires a multi-step process which, inevitably leads to a rejection because some writer could not read that Greyhaus Literary Agency does not acquire Biographies.

This is not a game. This is a business. If you want to succeed in this world, or any other place, consider reading and learning those directions. Then follow those directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment