Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Anyone Can Cook, Maybe Not


For anyone who knows me, they are aware that I love Disney/Pixar. This combined duo has the ability to get across a lot of great messages that we can clean from. However, I have always struggled with this particular comment from Ratatouille.

Let me first say, at the end of the movie, the writers do turn this into a positive spin. In fact, when you look up this quote, the version you see if often the quote from the end, or positive motivation memes that spin this in the positive direction.

And yet, I always question this one.

No, this is not going to be one of those positive, feel good posts, but one that might be closer to the truth than we want. I will, however, spin this to the positive like Disney and Pixar.

This thought popped up once again recently when I was listing to a podcast and the hosts and guest were talking about whether or not anyone could really be a chef, and yes, Ratatouille popped up in the conversation. They talked about how a lot of people are opening up restaurants, because they had a great idea! The spoke of how they go through all of the motions of being a chef and a great restaurateur, and yet, always fall short. Can anyone cook? Sure. People can go into a kitchen and prepare a meal. But the question is can they "really" cook.

I remember in my early years of teaching, and meeting with a parent of an honors student. The student was earning a B- and the parent wanted that student to be an A student. When I talked to the parent (who also happened to be a PE teacher at our school) I said that he was probably a good solid B+ student in this subject area and with a bit more work could get to that level, but an A student in English was not his "cup of tea." Hard truth.

The dad really had a hard to understanding this (as would most parents). So I spun it a different way. I said that since he was a great PE Teacher (he also coached semi-professional soccer) that I wanted to be one of those great soccer players. I wanted to play professionally. I told him I would come in every day for training, I would work hard because this was something "I really had the passion to do." His answer? I would not be able to do it. These athletes already had something in them that made them great...

Get the idea?

The reality is that not everyone out there is going to be a best selling author. Not everyone out there is going to get on those major national lists, or win those major awards. Not everyone is going to get published. It doesn't matter how much time you spend, how much passion you put in your writing, that skill might not be in you.

But here is the positive spin.

But you can "cook." You can write stories. You can be a part of those writing groups. Writing and self expression really is something everyone can do, and I encourage you to do it. Please, do not stop. I would caution you though. Do not think that you have to be published to be successful. Do not feel pressured to self-publish just because editors and agents don't sign your book. Don't be like those people who think they can cook and open a restaurant. Cook at home. Write at home. Share those stories and meals with your friends. Keep the joy of writing going!

Just remember, there IS a difference between "Everyone Can Cook" and "Everyone Can Be A Chef."

No comments:

Post a Comment