Wednesday, April 17, 2019

What Agents Advertise IS What We Acquire

I have ranted about this in the past, but I think it is time for another rant.

When agents and editors post what we are looking for in terms of genres, in other words, what we acquire and what we don't acquire... wait for it... it is the truth. There are no hidden secrets here. We are not like those "hidden menu items" we hear about at local restaurants. And yet... there are a ton of authors out there, and you may be one of those people, who think, "I know Scott says he only takes romance and women's fiction, but my memoir is so unique, he will think differently!"

Sorry, but no!

Look, I get you all hate getting rejections. I will tell you that editors and agents hate writing rejections. Not only is it tough to tell someone no, but it also takes time to open the email, read the email, record the submission in our databases and then answer the email. But now, when we have to answer submissions from someone who openly admits they read your guidelines and decided to submit later is VERY frustrating. The phrase, "I thought I would take a shot" is not an answer.

Now, if you are someone still frustrated with what editors and agents want in their submissions, the solution is easy. Do your research. Quit living on those database sites such as Agent Query and just submitting to everyone with an email address. Get on the Internet, visit the websites of the editors and agents and do your research. I would also add that this works for publishers as well. If that publisher says they only want "agented submissions" and you don't have one, DO NOT think they will deviate from that thinking. They will not read your submission. I don't care if your story is the next Great American Novel, you did not do your research.

Just a reality check for a Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment