Sunday, May 19, 2019

Being A Writer IS A Full Time Job

Writing is one of those unique activities we can do. For most writers, we start out as a hobbyist. We write when we are inspired. We have great scenes or characters we craft. And for most, we never finish those books. However, when writers come to be to pitch projects, either face to fact in pitch sessions, or via the query letter, these authors have to be ready to change their thinking. And, unfortunately, for many of these writers, they are not ready to do so.

Writing is a full time job. It is not a part time activity. It is a job that you will be doing a 40 hour work week, just like any other full time job!

I started thinking about this yesterday when I read a post from one of the Harlequin authors. She said in her post, "I really was not in the mood to write today." But she was then motivated when she saw her daughter and the computer writing. This was not a guilt trip, but a motivation to remind her that writing is something that you will need to do often.

I hear a lot of writers who submit projects to me and when I request to see more, I start hearing phrases such as "You now, my other job has some demands so I will get this to you as soon as I can." Translation? These writers are not ready to make the jump.

Your writing cannot take a second place in your life if you want to be successful as a published author. You have to make time daily for that writing.

Yes, I get that the other job is the money earner for now (but more likely the rest of your career). but this does not mean you ignore your craft.

I also understand that other things will get in the way. Spouses, Kids, Family, Housework and so forth. There may be days when getting a full amount of writing will not be possible, but you have to make some time to get that work in. It may be research, editing, reviewing or marketing, but you have to find that time.

When I tell editors I have a great project from one of my authors (who told me they are working on something new) and that editor loves the idea, we cannot just sit around and wait until the moment is right for that person to finish that story. We make it a priority and get that story to the editor.

So, on this Monday, I want you to ask yourself, where is your writing fitting in your life? Is it truthfully a priority, or simply wishful thinking? If you keep saying, "It is Scott, but..." then it is not there yet. And let me just say, that is OK. You just aren't ready yet. Give it some time. Work on a schedule in your life. You will get there soon!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, yes, it is hard to find enough time to write! I can't agree more.
    So, I have a "future" question. If a writer is fortunate enough to become published by a publishing company (not self), how much promotion and/or marketing does the publisher expect the writer to do to help sell the books? Not that I would ever say no, it's just that I'm wondering how much more time needs to be found for this aspect of a writing career. Also, does the author's agent help guide the author through the promotion process, tips and tricks to do well, or is this something that is between the publisher and the author only?
    Thank-you for all the great information you pass along in this blog! Kate M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read bios of published authors, I'm often astounded they have full-time teaching jobs or other careers, operate working farms and/or raise kids. How they’ve written 70+ novels in their spare time is a super human feat.

    Aside from the joy of writing, I see it as a business not unlike the one I’ve had for 20+ years. I’ve recently committed to writing full-time to become match fit and publishable. I have 10-12 hours per day available. I’d be a fool to squander them.

    Minimum 2 hours p/d is for PLANNING (WIP plotting and research). WRITING is 6-8 hours. The remainder is TRAINING, READING and MARKETING (inc. querying).

    The downside though of being an unpublished full-time writer with few distractions is the querying process is stultifying.

    Kris

    ReplyDelete