Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Sometimes It Is Just About Timing

I know I am not the only agent who has experienced it before, but it is something we have to remind ourselves of every now and then. This is a business of hurry up and wait. This is also a business, where time really is an issue. It takes time to get things done.

This is also a business where persistence pays off. No, this is not just random submissions over and over again until something sticks. This persistence is a constant learning and growing. That first project might not work out (or even the second one), but at some point, things will fall your direction and the way you have always wanted.

Yesterday was just one of those days. I have been working with this one author now since I signed her after the Denver RWA conference. Yesterday, when I spoke to an editor, we had an offer on the table. This was not just the standard book deal which I expected, but a great multi-book contract and the chance to work with the senior editor! Now that was a win.

For another author, we just signed a 9 book deal. Here is the kicker. Other authors had only been getting smaller contracts and we really did not see that one coming.

Then we add in Helen Lacey. Last year we got this great call that launched one of her books into a movie! Again, it was being in the right place at the right time. Get this movie now! It's great!


As I said, I am not the only person who has seen this. I recently saw a post by a fellow agent who was talking about her successes and noted the months it took to get some projects to a contract stage.

I know there is a desire to get things done now and have things go the way we want them every time. That is the nature of this world we live in with immediate gratification. But keep reminding yourself about needing the time to get things to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment