Tuesday, October 20, 2020

#MSWL - New Adult (Discovering Self in College)

Greyhaus Literary Agency focuses exclusively on publishing traditional romance and women's fiction. Every now and then I like to post things that I am especially interested in finding. 

Like Women's Fiction, I am looking for New Adult projects where the reader can truly relate to what the characters are going through. Specifically, I am looking for New Adult projects that focus on the heroine finding herself in college.

Please understand that New Adult stories are not simply YA's with sex. These are stories about people who are truly finding, seeing and discovering a new world they have likely not seen before. Please also understand that New Adult stories DO NOT have to be in first person. I am someone who has found most first person stories to be flat and lacking depth.

As I said, I am specifically looking for stories about characters in college. These might be stories about people going to a college that is really different from the life they lived at home. These might be stories about students who are now facing graduation and are lost as to what to do next. 

Like women's fiction, I want stories with a focus. Don't try to take on too many topics. Focus is key. I also want stories that everyone can relate to.

Yes, you can take on challenging topics, but be careful to not "stereotype" these tropes. Topics like date rape, alcoholic binges and so forth become a bit forces.

Please note, I DO NOT WANT stories about students having relationships with professors (and even Graduate Teaching Assistants). 

No comments:

Post a Comment