Monday, September 19, 2022

Why You Should Not Submit To Every Agent

I know that there is a belief out there that the more agents you send something to, the increased chance that you will get that offer. This is FAR from the truth. In fact, you will end up with a lot more rejections, and worse yet, you might get an offer from someone that you just don't want to work with.

Before you submit to ANY editor or agent, you have to do a little market research. This work you do will focus in on not just how they want the submissions sent in, but determining exactly what they like or do not like in a story, the type of stories they really have a passion for, and more importantly, their approach to working with authors. This is information you will simply not get off of those databases and websites that just list editors and agents. 

While we might all acquire contemporary romances, this does not mean we all like the same type of stories. Some of us want stories that are sweet romances, others have no problem with a little bit of steam. We all have some topics we avoid and some topics we cannot get enough of. In other words, you story is not going to fit with everyone.

I also noted the approach we all take. While all agents and editors do many of the same things, each of us approach the business different. Some of us are more hands on. Some just wait for you to send something in. Some of us can be more aggressive with editors, and others take a more passive approach. Some of us deal with international and movie rights within house, while others let publishers deal with this.

The point is this. It is important that you take the time to find the right fit for your story and your career. Quit trying to just throw it out to everyone!


1 comment:

  1. I appreciate this advice. I haven't submitted to any agents, because I wanted to try the self-publishing route first. Now I realize this route is a bit silly, given that agents have far more resources than the average first time self-published author. That said, I sought my editor in a comparable manner to how you describe one should go about searching for an agent. Fit is extremely important for me. I don't want an agent who solely looks at my work as a source of income. I realize we both need to make money, but I don't write for that reason alone. I also require a bit of handholding at first because much of what I'm doing/have done is self-propelled and I may have learned bad habits! I'm likely a seasoned agent's worst nightmare. The self published author who over describes things! Run away! *laughs*

    ReplyDelete