This is something I think a lot of authors contemplate with submissions and their writing. We always have this belief that we can "make things better" so when we get a rejection letter and an editor or agent tells us what they didn't like, we immediately dive into revision mode.
"I can fix that!" And off the author goes to revise it. They will then think it would be a great idea and show initiative to send it back to the editor and agent and say "I took your advice and see, I can do it!"
BUT SHOULD YOU?
My answer is no.
But I do have a reason for this.
First, this will be an endless cycle and it will eventually get you no where and get you there fast. Your story will become a jumbled mess and you just do not want that.
Secondly, that ONE editor or ONE agent is just ONE person. Let me tell you want I tell most authors when I pass on their project. If it doesn't work for me, there is no reason it might not work for someone else. And frankly, in this industry, that statement is so true.
But let me give you something else to consider. Is that one comment a "one off" or is it a pattern. Here is what you should really do.
Send out 5 submissions. If you get 3 out of 5 that say the same thing, you have a pattern. For example, I had an author who was determined to be published as a single title author. When I signed her, I told her she really had a "category/series" voice but she was determined to prove me wrong. OK, so, she's the boss. We sent out her submissions and after the first few submissions, we got comments such as "Love you writing but you really have a category voice and this is not what we are looking for." Hmmmmmm? Pattern? I think so.
This is a time to change. This is a time to revise.
Let's say you get several comments that say you have a weak conflict or no conflict. Do you keep sending it out or do you stop and revise.
You stop and revise.
Get the idea?
Now, should you send it back to the same editor or agent. This is where I say DO NOT DO IT! My recommendation is to take that knowledge and when you write a new story, send the new one to the agent/editor you really wanted and who made that comment. In the query make sure you note the original project you sent, their direct comment and how you learned from it. THEN, tell them how you learned from it and HOW you made sure you addressed those issues in this new project. Be Specific!
This shows you have grown.
Hope this helps!
No comments:
Post a Comment