Monday, December 31, 2007

Is writing for everyone?

So, I just saw on my MSN Today in History that Ellis Island opened today. It got me thinking about writing. O.K. so maybe I was already doing so as I was wrapping up a second article for an RWA Chapter (it is on the way Georgia).

Is writing for everyone? Yes.
Is publishing for everyone? NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!

I am sorry to say this but some people are just not wired for writing as a business. You either have it or you don't. I don't care how many writing classes you take and I don't care how many hours you spend, you will not get published if it is not in you.

No, I'm not talking about your ambition, I'm talking about natural talent.

Look, Michael Jordan or Micheal Phelps are who they are because of some natural talent. Michael #1 could jump like that because of the way he is built. Michael Phelps can swim that way because of the way he is built. Practice made them better. It didn't make them who they are.

The same goes with writing. I have talked to a lot of writers out there that just don't get it. You talk to them, offer suggestions and it is like talking to a brick wall. They don't get it.

Now, I know what some of you might say... "But Scott, Dr. Seuss got X number of rejections." It was because he didn't know who to send it to and it was so out there for the time. He knew what he was doing.

So please, take an inventory of your writing skills this January. Do you really have the talent to be a writer or not (and I mean professionally). If not, don't stop writing, keep on doing it. Just save your money and heartache and don't submit to editors or agents. Keep going to the conferences, practice and enjoy. Then, go out and do something else professionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment