- New authors are not likely to bring in huge advances (unless they are so amazing and their story is the caliber of Harry Potter and the like.
- If you are a new author with an agency, YOU ARE a small fish in a BIG pond. Get used to it.
- As a new author, you are not allowed to walk around and act like a major author and/or diva. You have to earn that title and even those that have been around for a long time may never achieve that status.
- In all likelyhood, if you are unpublished, you will most likely remain that way. The odds of getting published are completely against you. Publishing is a crap shoot.
- Just because you get a request DOES NOT mean they like you. It simply means they asked for material. Don't read into anything.
- A published author once said that you are only close to being published when you have an offer on the table. Otherwise, you are no closer than the next writer.
Chew on that for a while.
(O.K. so it's raining, I'm tired and I'm grumpy...kind of).