Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Updates from the weekend

So, I spent this weekend reading through submissions again (O.K. I do that all of the time).

Here are some things I have seen.

The first big one is the submission for something I don't represent. I try to make it very clear on everything that I put out there the genres that I represent. Non-fiction, biographies... nope. Not what I'm looking for.

I'm going to have to go back to a method I had in the past by asking people where they got my information from. If they got it from my website, then darn it, they can't read. If they are getting it from somewhere else, I would love to know.

The second is the query letter that is inherently flawed. I have some that claim they got my information from various locations. I should note that some of these sites they claim, I'm not on. Look, we all know we use the same queries, but make sure the information is accurate. This is a sure sign you don't know what you are doing.

Finally, I have the writers that claim their story is something that it's not. I have said this over and over again. You have to know what type of story you write. I understand that stories sometimes cross genres, but know what that is. Look, if it is fantasy, don't call it paranormal. If it's fiction, don't call it a romance. And please (this goes mostly for the guys out there since that seems to be the trend I've seen), just because it is a romantic story does not make it a romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment