Friday, August 29, 2008

A response to Jessica

Jessica responded...
Don't bounce ideas off an agent. One agent will love a concept and another will hate it. You've got to write what you want, then try to sell it. There are ways to make it more marketable, but there's no 100% way to make sure your book will sell after it's done. Or before.I wish you the best with your writing.

I think the key thing to remember though is to always do that research before you write a book or get too far into it. I really don't care how good the writing is, if the story won't sell, then it won't sell. In the end, you have wasted your time (except for the creative pleasures).

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you're fast.
    :-) I was thinking about my comment and I realized that it's also important to study the genre you're writing in, and even what kind of books a publisher likes, before writing it. Then your story may have a better chance of fitting.
    Yikes, good writing+bad story=No Sale?
    That stinks. I think the positive thing is that a good writer could tweak the story into something marketable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,

    That is soooo true. I don't know how many authors I talk to that just didn't do that research and find themself at a dead end road.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete