Let me list a few of the things I've seen. I think these errors will speak volumes:
- Sending me an email submission and then sending me two snail mail submissions (in the same week) for the same book. Ooooo, and we hate rejections so much we want to do it three times.
- Sending me manuscripts that I am not looking for. The funny thing on this one is that it really seems to be a gender issue. The guys do this all of the time. What's even scarier is are the number of submissions I get from established doctors who are now writing. And they hold a scalpel? Ugh.
- After a rejection, they write to attempt to get me into a dialogue to prove I was wrong all along. I may be, but guess what? I also have your name in my data base and I will remember you.
And don't get me started on story premises that are sent to me.
- I have had several editors say this is bad but I still believe it can sell? Several? What does this tell you?
- Adultry is OK if you have a justifiable reason? Huh?
- A story about a teacher falling for a student in the high school. Ah, true love. But it could happen and things work out well, Right? NOT!
Think people. If you can!