Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Welcome Susan Edwards

Susan joined Greyhaus last Spring and we have been hard at work at a lot of new projects. She has stopped by to say hi and answer a few questions. My challenge to you??? Keep her busy with a lot of questions!







































Welcome Susan...












LIFE IS CHANGE, GROWTH IS OPTIONAL, CHOOSE WISELY
anonymous

We’ve all heard that there are two things we can rely on in life: death and taxes. Well, for writers, there is another.

Change.

Change is a constant in the publishing world and if we as writers/authors do not change, then we dry up and fade away like a pile of autumn leaves.

Most people do not like change because change is scary but I have always embraced change whether it is a new home or rearranging my house or even a new job. Change freshens my life. It is a renewal of heart, mind and soul--a breath of fresh air to chase away the stale and stagnant.

In the publishing world, what’s selling now will eventually fade away to be replaced by something new and fresh. Or perhaps something old will be reborn. Like historicals, angels, time travels and ghosts. Think of the writing world as a big circle with cycles and seasons. Nothing remains the same.

If we accept that our industry is always shifting and changing, then we as writers/authors must be prepared not to just ride those winds of change but to grow as writers for styles of writing also change. Today’s author must be prepared to change and keep up even if it means reinventing ourselves to keep pace with the changes in our world.

While writing White Vengeance, book 11 in my White Series, I felt as though I was slogging through muck. Each word, each scene was a struggle. I loved the characters, loved the story, but something was happening to me as a writer–I was growing and changing yet my White books were not. At least not much.

My books always had a bit of the mystical with the use of visions, gifts of sight and other aspects of Native American culture. As the series grew, I wanted as a writer to explore the mystical aspects of Native American beliefs and go deeper into the mystical world yet my books were historicals, not paranormals. Suddenly, I had a choice: continue to fight the change happening within me as a writer or give in and grow as a writer.

So I wrote something new. Summer of the Eagle is still a Native American Historical but I let the paranormal, the mystical world bloom. And I had fun. I loved the book, the characters, the writing. The change in myself, my writing attitude was a wondrous feeling. I knew then that as a writer I had to embrace change–let myself grow.

I gave myself permission and the freedom to grow and change. It was a scary step that involved taking some time off writing to really think about what I wanted for myself and my writing. I discovered that I needed to write, loved to write and so I allowed myself time to really create the SpiritWalker world that I’d just barely touched upon in Summer of the Eagle.

This process took a couple years, but I believe that by listening to my inner voice, I choose wisely. I have a new series that I love, that has pushed me to grow as a writer and will continue to for some time and I also know that I can return to my beloved White Series with a fresher heart and mind.

No matter what we write, how well we write it, we change because life is change. However, growing as a writer is completely up to us. We can resist, refuse or embrace. We can listen to our inner voice or ignore it. The choice is ours.

While we have to write what is selling, we can still grow as writers. It takes courage to look at our writing career and admit that we’ve grown stagnant. What we do about it is up to us.

Life is Change. Growth is Optional. Choose Wisely. I love this for it is so true. My challenge to you: Look for change. Find it. Embrace it. Then grow with it for I believe if you do this, you’ll have the ride of your life on that wonderful, exhilarating, and oftentimes crazy roller coaster called Life.


Susan

18 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,
    Do you think the publishing world is becoming more interested in these different types of paranormals like yours versus the stock vamp and shapeshifter stories?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome aboard Susam! I want to thank you so much for taking the time to "talk shop" with the other writers visiting!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous,
    That's a good question! I wish I knew the answer. I've heard that editors are looking for more than the typical vampire stories now but whether it's true or not, who knows.

    With this industry, so much is guess work! I don't think editors know what they want until it comes across their desks!

    But I'm sure hoping that the publishing world is ready for something new.

    My SpiritWalker series explores a lot of other aspects of paranormal, including shapeshifting but in a much different manner that what I've seen out there.

    Personally, I'd love to see a return of paranormal in many forms like ghosts, angels, etc. I always enjoyed those stories a lot.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to add a note about Susan. We are in talks about seeing a re-release of ALL her books. If you struggled to find them, stay posted here and with Susan!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, what were your favorite books while growing up?

    Also, if you weren't published and had to go about querying your "new" stories now, how would you describe them? Would you shy away from calling them paranormals since that seems to require vampires, werewolves, fairies, etc? (Would supernatural be a better word or would agents just laugh?)

    Thanks so much for your time and great post. I'm having a lot of trouble with the whole "genre" issue and trying to nurse my inner muse at the same time...I'm sure Scott thinks I'm an idiot for thinking women's fiction could succeed with time travel elements...and he's probably right, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anonymous,

    My favorite books as child were (I'm dating myself) Nancy Drew, Boxcar Children, Heidi, a book my mom gave me, Here Trix Here. Anything with a happy ending. Even as a child, I had to have that. In high school, I was introduced to romances and that over time led to my writing romance (write what you love).

    Good question on how to present my books nowadays. My White Series is easier as they are Native American Historicals. The later books that do go more into the paranormal world I'd say they were heavy on the "mystical" elements of the NA culture.

    My new series could fall into the same mystical category if I did not want to call it paranormal. As far as the term supernatural, I guess that could apply but I always think of superman and those heros when I hear that word :-).

    I firmly believe that a writer should write what they love though at the same time, if we want to be published, we do have to "fit" in a slot. No easy answers there. Just continue to write and see where it takes you.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue -

    Your thoughts on change and reinventing ourselves as writers touched a chord in me. As an unpublished writer, I found myself frustrated and discouraged with inability to sell my work. I loved my stories and characters, but found it harder and harder to sit down and write. Finally, I decided to try something completely different - a paranormal historical set in an unusual setting. Now I remember the joy I felt when I first started writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sueann,

    Rediscovering the joy in writing is very much a miracle in many ways, isn't it? I love my White Series and hated it when that love began to die. Now I know I can go back to that world because I am fresh.

    Writing takes so much out of us that to feel that love, the joy and the pride in my work again is the best feeling.

    Good for you that you too had the courage to embrace change. Your writing will reflect your new-found joy. (And it does.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan:
    It is great to know a fellow high school classmate who is enjoying a carreer in writing. Your blog certainly captured my interest in that "change" is an evolutionary process we experience daily.
    I prefer to use the word "transformation" when I discover my outlook or who I am being shifts to a new space I have not yet experienced.
    Anyway this may be a bit esoteric, but nonetheless I enjoyed seeing you again after so many years.

    Best wishes for continued success.

    Gary
    WHS 74

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by Gary. I don't think it matters what we call it (change, transformation). Just what we do with it. It was so good to see everyone and to recapture a bit of the past even if for a few hours.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Susan!
    I am glad to see your series will be re-released... I have a few of the White Series but not enuff! I can't wait to read the "new" stuff you have coming on.
    I have been a "fan" of yours since I was a little girl so I am probably biased, but oh well!
    Keep up the good work and entertain the masses like me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Kristi. I'm excited at the prospect of the books being reprinted. You are not the only one out there unable to find them all! Keep your fingers crossed.

    For my readers: I am in the process of completely redoing my website. It will include a special member only area and lots of fun links and even research notes. If you are not on my mailing list, go to http://susanedwards.com and join so you can be updated with news of the reprints and updates on new releases etc.

    Susan

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Susan,
    Thanks for your great blog on change. Since discovering this passion for writing I am finding myself so open to the idea of critical feedback so that I can get better. I guess when you find something you love, you are willing to do anything to make it the best it can be.
    For the first time since completing a manuscript I am actively trying to find an agent and get published. I must admit, it can be pretty discouraging. Thank you for the excellent reminder to keep writing and not publishing as my focus.
    How long did it take you to catch your first break? Do you mind sharing a little of your story?
    Thanks so much for your time. It's great to correspond with a published author.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melissa,
    Thanks for your comment. Keep at it. It took me 3 years to write my first book. Had young kids. Another 4 to learn the craft and submit and get rejected and rewrite. AFter 8 years, I sold the book and another year to see it in print. So in total, 9 years! And then I had a gap between the first and second book! It's a tricky business that requires dogged determination and a love of writing! Keep writing and improving your craft.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sue (waving to you)

    What a great blog post. You tackled a sometimes difficult topic with success and encouragement. It is great news to learn your White series will be re=released. Congrats!

    Writing is an exciting, fascinating and punishing mistress. Thanks in large part to you and another Sue(ann), I rediscovered my love of writing with characters I love with loud voices for me. Wishing great things ahead for you!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce, waving right back. One of the things I love about this business is the wonderful people I've met and the great friendships I've made. Those are things I would NOT change!

    Keep at it!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Susan, so great to have accomplished something you enjoy. Though I admit I haven't read any of your books, I will begin a new ritual of reading daily. No excuses but raising children as a single parent and having children didn't afford much time for self but now that I'm a grandparent I can certainly find time for women and romance though not in that order. Congrats on your success & career. Connie (Cimino) Nickerson(Class of 74)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Connie, reading one of life's greatest pleasures. I became a writer because I was a reader first and foremost and still find time to read, if even a few pages each day. Enjoy this time of your life and reward yourself with lots of "self" time. You deserve it!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete