Sunday, October 25, 2009

SCWW Day 2

Here's the update from yesterday.

Had a great session with Jim McCarthy of Dystel and Goderich yesterday. This was a slush fest for romance and women's fiction. I honestly think many of the writers were shocked in the end of how quickly the agents and editors make decisions on their writing. Comments like "so, you would make the decision after the first paragraph?" were very common.

Dinner ended with a fantastic talk by Steve Berry. I am hoping all of the people in the audience were really listening to the things he had to say. 8 novels later, he finally landed the first deal, but it came down to being in the right place at the right time with the right piece of writing. Amen to that!

I kkow for me, it was a great contest to get connected with people that I rarely see, or only talk to electronically. Jeff Kleinman, Jim McCarthy, Barb Poelle, Janet Reid, Holly Root, Elaine Spencer, Joanna Stampfel-Volpe and certainly my Italian compadre Chuck Sambuchino.

Big thank you to the SCWW staff and conference. You can have me back any time you want. And remember, if you want me to work, just ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment