My wife and I had a friend in college that had this same vision. We were sitting in the lobby of the communications office at the school and he came out of a professors office in an uproar. He couldn't believe what this professor had to say. He had just been told that the starting salary for his job would not be that 6 and 7 figure deal he thought it would be. Why???? He was amazing. He was good at what he did!!!
We all laughed.
The reality is, with the exception of a few (and these are those rare cases):
- You will not be sold out in the first week of your book.
- You will not have a contract for a book with a lot of zeros after it.
- You will not be sent on a publishing book tour with an entourage
- Your editor will not be dropping everyone else just to work with you
- You will not immediatly have a following of 30,000+ readers
- You will not have stalkers that "want to be with you"
- You will likely have mediocre sales
- You will attend book signings and no one will come
- You will be writing several books before something big happens
- You will have to keep working hard to keep your name in front of the editor and agent
- You will find it to be tough.