When we think about mythology, every culture has stories that go back to the beginning of time. What researchers will often tell us, is that stories have used the same ideas and motifs over time. Each time they tell a story they draw on similar ideas to convey a bigger message. Again, we are not talking about using the same plot, but combining elements of character, conflict and such.
Think about the common fairy tales we have. Let's start with Cinderella. We have a simple story of rags to riches. But, within that story, we can draw on different character and plot elements and put these into our stories:
- The conflict between jealous siblings and someone who gets something from nothing.
- The evil step mother
- The idea of things just showing up when you need it.
What about the Beauty and Beast storyline?
- Finding something in a person we don't view as being likeable
- A character hating themself because of how they look
- The concept of punishnment for being mean
Have a great weekend.