Friday, March 7, 2014

Do You Have A Plan "B"??

It's Friday so I am keeping it short today! Still, I think there is a lot we can do with this small point.

I know there are a lot of authors out there that get the same way I do. When I dive into a project that I am really connected with, I put blinders on. I can't see anything else other than that single project and I need it that way. This is how I keep my focus and how I keep moving. There are a lot of benefits to this. Unfortunately, as writers, this might not always be the best strategy to take. 

I see far too many authors who have devoted so much time and energy toward that one project, or that one series, that they don't consider what would happen if that project didn't work out well. In other words, the author simply didn't have a Plan B to fall back on. Now, instead of moving forward, the author is stuck for while just to get the ball rolling again and to get the career moving forward.

Publishing is a business that is always changing. Just when you think you know where things are going to, the industry shifts and, unless you have that Plan B, you might be stuck going one way when the rest of the world goes the other direction. Not a place you want to be.

Many of my writers have different projects in the fire at one time. No, this does not mean they are writing different projects at one time. It simply means they have projects ready to go and at different phases of the process. Some are starts of stories and some are plans of new projects. Some are in genres they are not currently working in. The point is, they are ready for a change, should the need arise.

Do you have a Plan B?

No comments:

Post a Comment