Thursday, August 18, 2016

Think Before Leaping Into A New Venture

First of all, I just wanted to let you all know, that I have just uploaded the latest of the Greyhaus Literary Agency Education Video Series.





While this video clip does focus on new authors, I do think it is important for all authors when they are thinking about a new direction with their careers. There are a lot of different opportunities out there and if you choose poorly, or you rush into things, you might find that you have not only wasted time, money and energy, you may have also hurt your career.

Consider first trying a new publisher. While this might seem like a great opportunity to expand your line, you have to remember that you will now be competing against yourself. This is not just in marketing, but the new editors will want a different voice and direction. If those two voices clash with each other, in other words you bring that new voice over to the original publisher, there may be some struggles with the editorial process. This is easy to work though, but you want to be careful with that.

If you decide to take the self-publishing route to go with your traditional route, you may run into another set of problems. One editor I worked with openly stated that she was not a big fan of this approach. Yes, if the book does well, it will boost sales with the traditional publisher. BUT!!! If the book does poorly, those sales will reflect on the traditional publisher.

If you want to try a new marketing approach, new agent, new PR person and so forth, you too can be jumping into something that will take a lot to get out of if things don't work out right.

I get that most of you are saying this is a risk with everything, and you are 100% right. What I try to tell authors over and over again is to take the time to do your research and think things through before you make that leap. Too many people rush into things and then regret doing so.

Simple word of advice. THINK!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, but I am going to gush. All of your blog posts have been excellent this summer! And especially "right on" for me. Every one said something I needed / wanted to know. And this video was the best yet. Thank-you! Now, to my question. My personal dilemma is (thinking business here) could I realistically do both, write and market myself. How do I go about learning what is involved in the marketing part of a writing career, such as time, expectations and the correct way to go about it?
    (I'm afraid I've become a dump bucket for tons of conflicting internet info on this topic and have gotten lost in the sludge.)
    Again, thanks so much! Kate M.

    ReplyDelete