Monday, February 20, 2017

Motivation For Writers



I just saw this on an Instagram post. Walt Disney once said, "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." I see so many writers fail in their careers simply because of all of their talking.

I don't care how many reasons you have for why the writing is not going as planned. The real reason is that you are simply not writing.

You can create storyboards until the sun goes down. You can create character plans, outlines and so forth. You can tell me all of these reasons why the real world is getting in the way. But, when it all comes down to it, your writing is not getting done because you are not writing.

End of story.

This last weekend, I had NPR on the radio and was listening to Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.  Romance's ultimate author, Nora Roberts was on and she was asked about if she ever has had writer's block. She said "No." Her comment was what I have said all along. Writer's block is a mental thing. She said that she will always sit down and write, even if it is a piece of garbage. She can always go back and fix it later. The reality is that was still making forward progress.

So, what about you? Put those excuses down and just write today.

NO EXCUSES!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have a question: Sometimes, the problem is not writer's block (at least, I don't think it is.) What happens is that I feel like writing. I want to write. And I know what I want to write. But I start to type and the words will not go together. Just seems like the sentences do not make any sense. The harder I try, the worse the writing gets. Are there exercises that help this problem? What's the best thing to do when this problem hits?

    ReplyDelete